Bosses face tougher rules to deter wage-subsidy rorts
Date published :
Return to the News
By Patricia Karvelas
January 04, 2012 12:00AM
THE Gillard government has beefed-up protections against
the abuse of its new wage subsidy for the long-term unemployed
after fears were raised the scheme that started this month would be
ripped off by unscrupulous bosses.
Employers will be paid subsidies at the average rate of the dole
for six months to hire 10,000 long-term unemployed people.
The Department of Education,
Employment and Workplace Relations says tough new conditions have
been imposed to police the new scheme, and job agencies must
immediately report when a boss sacks a worker as soon as the
Employment Participation Minister
Kate Ellis said wage subsidies had been an effective feature of
employment participation systems in Australia and around the world
"The government has safeguards in
place to ensure that these wage subsidies are most effectively used
to transform the lives of the long-term unemployed," she said.
Read Full Article